A follow-up audit report on DEEWR's implementation of previous recommendations on the use of e-Business has identified several areas that still require attention. In particular, it recommends that DEEWR needs to do more work on implementing its IT project management methodology to guide IT developments.
The report is titled, Managing e-Business Applications - Follow-up Audit: Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
An audit report in March 2004 of the (then) DEST's management of its Internet presence and its e-Business found that although the agency's management was sound, recommendations were made concerning improvements to IT governance, record keeping, performance monitoring and its reviews of IT including Internet services.
The objective of the latest audit was to examine DEEWR's implementation of the recommendations. It found that the Department has continued to enhance its management of e-Business, in particular:
- IT governance has improved
- The accuracy of TYIMS records has improved
- DEEWR is in the process of rolling out a single computer system to record, authorise and track application changes
- DEEWR and DIAC have formalised an MOU in relation to international students
- DEEWR has improved its guidance and tools for IT project managers
However, ANAO has identified opportunities to improve the governance of the MOU with DIAC, and has identified scope for improving the evaluation of e-Business projects.