Last week, we reported on the consolidation taking place in the Business Intelligence market, most recently with IBM's takeover of Cognos. With the release of Intermedium's full-year report on the Federal Government BI market, we see that the market has grown by almost one third during the last financial year.
Two weeks ago, IBM announced its intention to acquire Cognos. This followed SAP’s announcement in October that it intends to acquire Business Objects, and Oracle’s acquisition of Hyperion Solutions in April.
Intermedium's report on the 2006-07 Federal Government Business Intelligence market shows that during the 2006-07 financial year, contracts valued at more than $50m were reported. Other findings from the report include:
- More than 200 BI contracts were reported during 2006-07.
- 2 large contracts accounted for 54% of market.
- 37 agencies reported BI contracts, with Centrelink the dominant agency in 2006-07.
- 47 suppliers secured contracts during the year, but three suppliers dominated.
- Almost 70% (by value) of contracts went to open tender.