As part of a new whole-of-government standardisation and consolidation of core ICT, Victorian Expenditure Review Committee has mandated that ICT expenditure greater than $250,000 is to be approved by the Department of Treasury and Finance (DTF) with effect from 1 July 2008.
Other key features of the Efficient Technology Services (ETS) program include:
- One secured core desktop environment based on common applications, interfaces and work environment ( eg. email, web browsers)
- A common trusted network based on consolidation of local and wide area network systems (eg. routers, switches)
- Simplified login access using a common directory
- A common hosting service based on consolidating back-office infrastructure (eg. servers, databases)
- Standardised ICT support and management services (eg. incident management, service desk)
The Departments affected by this approval process include all ten departments and four inner budget agencies.